The introduction of smartphones exposed websites to a wide audience and brought new challenges for developers to consolidate the user experience for both web and mobile platforms. Indeed, developers explored different tools and methodologies that helped them reach their goals to a certain extent. But all these methods do not appear to be efficient and have certain demerits.
However, the advent of progressive web apps changed this scenario, and developers now have a better web solution that provides a marvelous experience across different devices.
Progressive web app development has emerged as a popular trend in web development. Businesses can use progressive web apps (PWAs) to deliver a phenomenal user experience across different devices.
In this blog, we will look at the top 5 PWA development frameworks for 2022 that you can use to develop outstanding progressive web apps.
What is a Progressive Web App & Why is it Important?
Progressive web apps are unique applications that are designed to run on smartphones and desktops. In essence, a PWA is a unique cross-platform web app development methodology that allows users to install web pages on their mobiles or desktops. So, you can use PWA like a native desktop or mobile app on your device.
Though a PWA is a web app at the core, it has many features that equate it to native applications like push notifications, work offline, installable, shareable, etc.
Features of Progressive Web Apps
There are many functionalities in PWAs that make them similar to native desktop/mobile apps, and many differentiate them from these applications.
Here are the key features of progressive web apps.
- Fully responsive and browser compatible: PWAs are created on the principle of progressive enhancement, which means these apps provide primary content and functionality to users regardless of the devices or browsers they use. So, these apps render seamlessly on all kinds of devices and browsers.
- App-like: PWAs look and feel like native desktop/mobile apps and have similar features like push notifications.
- Always update: PWAs are always fresh and don’t require manual updates.
- Installable and shareable: Users can install apps and share them with others using links.
- Easy to install and discoverable: Installation is not complicated like native apps, and they are searchable on Google search engine.
- Work offline: PWAs cache content enables them to work without an internet connection.
What are the Trending Frameworks for PWAs Development?
Developing a progressive web app is becoming crucial for businesses, and entrepreneurs are investing hefty amounts for it. However, it is essential to pick the right set of technologies to create a robust PWA.
Some new technologies have hit the market, while some have been deprecated. We are now on the threshold of 2022, which will have several latest trends for progressive web app development.
Below, we will focus on the top frameworks used to develop PWA that will rule in 2022.
According to Statista, As of 2021, React.js is the most used framework by software developers, with over 40.14% of surveyed developers reporting it to be using it for developing purposes.
You take advantage of ReactJS to develop robust progressive web apps for your business. It utilizes JSX to render functions to connect HTML structures and offers to create web solutions.
Pros of ReactJS for PWAs
- PWAs built with ReactJS have high flexibility and are very scalable with many extra packages.
- The developers can deploy the same code for native apps.
- Due to the Virtual DOM, it has a fast rendering process.
Cons of ReactJS for PWAs
- In the absence of a clearly-defined methodology, the implementation is tricky.
- The presence of JSX makes ReactJS complicated.
- In a React-based PWA solution, more functionality issues will arise as you go for more flexibility.
AngularJS allows using HTML as the template language and expressing application components in HTML succinctly and clearly. You can utilize AngularJS for creating outstanding progressive web apps. It is one of the key PWA development trends. It offers CLI commands that simplify many tasks.
Pros of AngularJS for PWA
- It provides a clearly-defined methodology that makes implementation easier.
- It has a huge community of developers like ReactJS.
- Google maintains AngularJS code, makes operations smoother, and ensures support.
- The learning curve of the framework has shortened due to the advent of CLI commands.
Cons of AngularJS for PWA
- You need to understand Typescript to take advantage of this Progressive Web App development framework.
- Although the learning curve has reduced, AngularJS is still more complicated than other PWA frameworks.
Vuejs has many features that streamline the development process like simple coding, high-speed rendering, routing, and more.
Pros of VueJS for PWAs
- You can utilize additional packages to scale up your app with Vue JS, just like you do with ReactJS.
- It offers unambiguous and detailed documentation that is quite useful for the developer community.
- VueJS helps in fast product delivery, so it is beneficial for creating MVPs and smaller solutions.
- It has the capacity to build dynamic and complex web apps.
Cons of VueJS for PWAs
- VueJS developers may feel difficulty in the two-way binding process.
- As major developers do not use this Progressive Web App development framework, it has small customer support.
- It has the benefit of flexibility, but it creates issues in PWA development when you use it.
It is another reliable open-source web application development framework that was created by Google. This framework is composed of varied features like templates, web components, and PWA tools that allow creating marvelous web apps.
The framework uses JSS, HTML, and JS, making it an Independent framework. Also, the tools and components that Polymer offers are supported on a wide range of web browsers, including Chrome.
Pros of Polymer for PWAs
- The APIs of the Polymer progressive web app development frameworks are relatively easy to understand.
- Excellent documentation is available for Polymer that helps users in the implementation process.
- Polymer provides full web applications stack support that includes routing, responsive layouts, and data tiers.
Cons of Polymer for PWAs
- Polymer doesn’t offer an official IDE.
- You may have a hard time making it SEO-optimized.
- The page reloading time is high with this framework which is not favorable to PWAs.
- This Progressive Web App development framework may sometimes require debugging tools because it has embedded development tools.
It is an open-source web app SDK that is based on Apache Cordova and AngularJS. This framework is widely used for developing hybrid web applications, and the massive library of components available with Ionic makes it an ideal choice for progressive web app development. You can also use Ionic for creating web pages that run inside a web browser through WebView.
Pros of Ionic for PWAs
- It is an open-source framework, so you don’t need to spend a single penny. Consequently, app development is very low, which makes it suitable for small businesses.
- It is an easy technique, and anyone with experience in Angular and web technologies can use it.
- It is easy to maintain Using the built-in debugging tools of a browser.
- It offers a huge library of plugins to access APIs without using code.
Cons of Ionic for PWAs
- Frequent updates need to rework on the existing PWAs to reflect the changes. It could be cumbersome over time.
In this age, the value of websites and apps is undeniable for every kind of business. However, companies have to face many challenges with these digital platforms like slow loading speed, poor appearance on different devices, internet speed, etc., which results in lower user engagement, conversion, and adoption rates.
The advent of progressive web apps has provided businesses with better solutions to reach their customers and boost sales by furnishing the best user experience across different devices. By opting for progressive web app development, businesses can derive huge profits and deliver an outstanding experience to customers.
To build a perfect PWA, you need to know the latest frameworks available in the market for PWA development. We discussed the top 5 PWA development frameworks prevalent in the market today and will also remain so in 2022. You can use these frameworks to create a robust progressive web app for your business.